Monday, May 16, 2011

Bunny Tracks: cum odore suavitatis ascendat...

Of course there's the appeal of the cuteness factor here, but besides that, the chocolate bunnies and other sweet goodies embedded in this ice cream have made it hands down my favorite pre-packaged flavor.  Lately, I've become a major fan of dessert, and tonight I insisted we have a little sweet after our meal of delicious panini.  Off to Albertson's for some random items and a confection.  I concede that it was already rather late as bakeries go -- about 7:30pm -- so granted, the grocery store bakery had a distinct East German ambience: empty shelves featuring oddball, mismatched cake slices, weather-beaten cream pies abused in their plastic containers from a day's maltreatment by customers shuffeling them in their stacks, many with iceing smeared against their plastic windows blurring any hope of visual identification.  A cake and pie orphanage sparsely populated with candidates whose immediate adoption at their age would be rather unlikely.  Sad.  Blaine suggested the freezer section, then as we considered the fashionable and trendy cakes pictured on the frozen boxes behind glass, ice cream came to mind.   We saw all the typical flavors, but then...Bunny Tracks.  Blaine had enjoyed this stuff before.  I'd never heard of it, but one read of the ingredients kept me from returning the container to the confines of the freezer.  And even better: this is not a seasonal affair, despite its Eastery name, thank goodness!  No need to purchase toppings, whipped cream, fruit and such to doctor a pedestrian plain vanilla.  Bunny Tracks is all-in-one ice cream bliss.  I confess, if left alone with a tablespoon, a container of this dairy ambrosia and a complete set of Fawlty Towers DVD's, I could most glutonously polish off  every morsel by the time the first disc played out.  Back in my early 20's, a bachelor prone to bouts of unbridled culinary hedonism,  it had been rumored that I might from time to time have been inclined to such spontaneous dessert consumption.  Yet having doubled my years since then, and now enjoying the company of a loving and stable partner, I have put off childish things in favor of savoring the sweetness.  Bunny Tracks ice cream is best enjoyed in pairs.  One bowl for you, one bowl for him.  Or, one big bowl and two spoons.     

No comments:

Post a Comment