Friday, March 25, 2011

Win, but lose...

Friday night in Lafayette: the possibility of trying a new beanery for dinner.  There's a new place that just opened on Kaliste Saloom Road called "Walk-On's".  The parking lot is the size of a postage stamp, and the majority of patrons parallel park on the side street and on the empty lot next door.  It's a sports bar sort of place.  My guy was in work mode when he texted.  It usually goes something like "Dinner in 60. Point. I'll meet."  That's code for "I'm starving.  Pick a place I'll see you in an hour."  I arrived first to put the name in the hat.  Somehow I still managed to get Doris Day parking (front row, that is), despite the tripple parking.   As soon as I opened the car door, I heard the commotion from the restaurant.  Bad sign.  Loud.   The key dinner criterion for us is ease of conversation.  The building has a front patio with garage doors, which were opened wide. The patio was filled to capacity.  but I did notice indoor seating.  The benches in front were emtpy.  I opened the front door to chaos. Milling guests blocking the entry way, the hostess podium was overwhelmed with humanity, boinky waitstaff flitting about.  One hour wait.  That was when I noticed the purgatory court.  The front benches were empty because they were actually overflow seating for the side patio where the majority of patrons waited for their dose of high stress, high decible dinning.  No. Despite its new facade, the ueber-chaos of the introductory experience has placed Walk-On's on the bottom of the "maybe" list.  So what happens when the empty lot next door gets a building plonked onto it?  A three hour stay in the purgatory court?    

No comments:

Post a Comment